Mar 9, 2017

Daddy's Poem


Few months back I strolled around Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain Memorial Park. Its about 20 minutes journey from my apartment at Gokula.


When I walked by a section of the park dedicated as a memoir for all Indian soldiers who fought for their life during World War 2, I came across a poem carved at a huge stone. And up till now, I can still feel the bitterness emotions when I read those lines.


Its a mixture of both sadness, and somehow proud in such beautiful poem.


--


Her hair was up in a ponytail, favorite dress tied with a bow.
Today was Daddy's Day at school, and couldn't wait to go.


There were daddies along the back wall for all to meet, at the hall.
One by one the teacher called the students from the class.
At last the teacher called her name, every child turned to stare.
Each of them searching, for the man who wasn't there.


From someone near the back, she heard a daddy say,
"Looks like another deadbeat dad, too busy to waste his day."
With hands behind her back, slowly she began to speak,


"My daddy couldn't be here, as he lives so far away.
I know he wishes he could be, on this such a special day."


"He loved to tell me stories, taught me ride my bike.
He surprised me with pink roses, and taught me fly the kite.
Though you cannot see him, I am not alone.
Cause my daddy's always with me, even when we are so far apart."


With that, her little hand reached up, and lay across her chest.
Feeling her own heartbeat, beneath her favorite dress.
With mother, somewhere in the crowd, standing, in tears.


When she dropped her hand back down, staring straight into the crowd.
She finished with a voice so soft, a message so clear and loud,
"I love my Daddy so much, he's 'My Shining Star'.
And if he could he'd be here, but Heaven is just too far."


"You see, He was an Indian soldier, died just past year.
An enemy sniper got him in chest while advancing without fear.
When he died telling all Indians, never, ever to fear."


"Sometimes when I close my eyes, it's like he's never away."
Then she closed her eyes, and saw him there, that day.


The her mother's amazement, she witnessed with surprise.
Room full of daddies and children, starting to close their eyes.
Perhaps for a mere second, they saw him too, at her side.


"I know you are with me Daddy."
To the silence she called out.


And what happened next, made believers of those once filled with doubt.
Not one in that room could explain, for each had their eyes closed.
But there on the desk beside her, was his shining medal of gold.


And a child was blessed.
If only for a moment, by the love of her shining star.
Given the gift of believing, that Heaven is never too far.


There are many children in same boat as this little girl.
Thanks to our brave soldiers, and their lonely families.
Ultimate sacrifice they make to keep our country free.
A thought to be remembered by those who now lives.


"For your tomorrow, they gave their today."

No comments: